Usually when I’m doing a roast (chicken/lamb/beef ect) I’ll throw in some nice veggies to roast away and absorb all the lovely flavours in the pan, this time I’ve roasted some fennel with fresh lemon which works perfectly in this super food salad!
Serves 4 (all up takes 15-20min)
1 broccoli, cut into florets
2 bulbs of fennel, sliced, roasted (with fresh lemon – this helps dress the salad too)
1 cup dry Quinoa, cooked
1/2 cup pistachio, preferably lightly salted
1/2 pumpkin seeds
1 avocado, cut into cubes
red radish micro-herbs, to garnish ( can use basil or even rocket if you prefer; micro-herbs can be easily bought at most wholefood stores)
dressing: 1 part seeded mustard, 1/2 honey, 1 part lemon juice, pinch of S&P and good quality olive oil to taste.
What to do:
1. Get the quinoa and 3 cups of cold water in a pot, bring to the boil and allow to simmer away while you get the rest of the salad ingredients ready. Quinoa takes 10-12 minutes to simmer. The quinoa is cooked when all the water has been absorbed, but make sure to simmer not boil.
2. Boil a kettle and pour water into a pot with the florets of broccoli. Par cook to broccoli for 1-2min, until bright green. I like the crunch to add texture to the salad and is more nutritious. Raw food = good food!
3. Now mix together the dressing ingredients in the bottom of a big bowl, I’d go for 2tbs of mustard to start with, make more if you like your dressings strong.
4. Mix the cooked Quinoa in the dressing, add broccoli, fennel, pistachios, pumpkin seeds and cubed avocado: mix through.
5. Garnish salad with a sprinkle of micro herbs and serve with a few slices of your cold roasted chicken from the night before (or if you skipped that bit, crumble some feta cheese and a dollop of good hummus on the side to marry all our earthy flavours together).